Sunday, July 25, 2010

Week 5 - Eternal pendant

Tarnish resistant satin finished sterling silver and ultramarine chalcedony pendant on a sterling snake chain. (2.6cm long x 1.3cm wide)

I really like the 3-dimensionality of this pendant, it reminds me of a mobius loop, and the colour of the stones make me think of the expansive ocean.. two things with no end.

I bought these 1.7mm machine cut and calibrated chalcedony at JCK over a year ago, and have had a nearly complete design block on what to use them in.  They're a beautiful colour, and the facets capture and contain light in a really interesting way the picture doesn't show.. they nearly seem to glow an electric blue, but chalcedony is only a 6 or 7 on the moh's scale, and therefore too soft to use in anything that isn't going to be fairly protected. 

I constructed this pendant by hand, and it's one of a kind, I didn't take a mold, as I didn't think it would turn out quite this pretty. This was also my first time constructing prongs for pavĂ© in the actual metal, as I've only ever carved them in wax until now.  It went well.  I was worried about setting something as soft as chalcedony, but it went great, and I'm very happy with the finished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment